Wednesday, May 17, 2017
As active in the recent competition Strong Europe Tank Challenge 2017 a Ukrainian T-64BM.
A T-64? A T-64? A tank antiquated attempting to compete with the new boys?
"The T-64BM Bulat is a Ukrainian upgrade of the aging Soviet T-64B main battle tank [MBT]."
AGING AS IN THE FIRST PRODUCTION MODELS ROLLING OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINE IN 1964!!
Extensive modifications having been made to the original production models the result of which is a much improved and upgraded tank of some considerable lethality.
Upgrades and improvements to include:
* "In 2014 this MBT saw action during ongoing military conflict in Ukraine." Bulat is combat tested.
* "Protection was improved by installation of add-on passive and explosive reactive armor."
* "Vehicle is fitted with NBC protection and automatic fire suppression systems."
* "This main battle tank is armed with a fully-stabilized 125-mm smooth-bore gun, fitted with automatic loader." A crew of three all that is needed."
* "The Bulat is compatible with the . . . AT-11 Sniper anti-tank guided missiles." Sniper fired from the main gun of the tank for which NATO armor has no [?] comparable weapon.
* "Secondary armament consists of coaxial 7.62-mm machine gun and remotely operated 12.7-mm anti-aircraft machine gun." The latest Abrams apparently also has a remotely operated heavy-machine gun.
* "This main battle tank is fitted with new fire control system .
* "All sights and aiming devices were also upgraded."
* "The Bulat MBT has an upgraded power-pack."
See my previous blog entry the comments of the Soviet era defector and tank officer by training and experience Suvorov. That topic the deficiencies and weakness of the T-64 as it existed during that period of the Cold War.